Cheers to June National Dairy Month!
We at Rodem raise our milk glass to toast the dairy industry as we celebrate June as National Dairy Month! Rodem got its start in the dairy industry nearly half a century ago and it remains a large segment of our business. We LOVE all of our customers, but no doubt, the dairy industry holds a special place in our hearts! Check out these fun facts about National Dairy Month.
- June Dairy Month is an annual tradition, started in 1937 that was developed to celebrate the dairy industry and its many contributions to our society.
- The first two years, 1937 and 1938, it was called National Milk Month and ran from June 10th-July 10th.
- The first event in 1937 was sponsored by chain stores and was given the theme “Keep Youthful—Drink Milk.”
- Originally supported by the National Dairy Council, June Dairy Month was established to help stabilize dairy demand during periods of peak production when cows were turned out to pasture.
- “June Dairy Month” became the official title of the promotion in 1939 and focused on a greater use of dairy products. Promotional materials in support of the event were provided to producers, processors and dairy product distributors alike.
- During the war years, less emphasis was placed on promotion and more on surviving the war. The retailers helped customers receive adequate supply of dairy products and information to help use them properly.
- After the war, efforts focused on resuming dairy product usage. In 1947 the slogan was “30 Days for ADA in June.” The goal was “Sales, not Surplus.” By 1950, retailers, producers and processors all worked together to promote June Dairy Month.
- In 1955 American Dairy Association (ADA) became the national leader for June Dairy Month campaigns. The emphasis was changed to sales promotion programs for dairy products, and advertising and merchandising programs were added to an already-effective public relations program.
June Dairy Month has continued to evolve over the years and communities across the country have embraced and celebrated it in a variety of ways with special monthly events. The month continues to celebrate the special link between producers, processors, distributors and consumers. We will be celebrating here at Rodem! How about you?